I’m pretty sure we are all pretty familiar with the slogan “bet you can’t eat just one,” from Lay’s potato chip brand.
Sadly they are right. They have concocted such an edible substance with so much science behind the validity of that slogan.
They have added just the right amount of additives to keep you coming back for more. Matter a fact, as I write this blog…I have a craving for some right now. Ugh!
As I am sure you are aware, these substances that try to make processed foods more like real food, aren’t very healthy for us. Many of the chemical additives accumulate in our fatty tissues, and if eaten every day, can result in a plethora of diseases and ill-health.
It’s time to clean out our pantry!
Ready, set, go….here’s your list.
1. Sodium Nitrite or Nitrate
2. BHA and BHT (Butylated Hyroxyanisole and Butlated Hydroxytoluene)
3. Propyl Gallate
4. MSG. This is disguise under many names, such as, natural flavorings, spices, seasoning, and hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP); to name just a few.
5. Hydrogenated or Partially Hydrogenated vegetable oils
6. Aspertame (Nutrasweet and Egual)
7. Acesulfame-K (Sunett and Sweet One)
8. Food Colorings (the ones with the numbers!)
10. Potassium Bromate
11. High-Fructose Corn Syrup
12. Sodium Chloride (Table Salt)
14. Evaporated Cane Juice (raises blood sugar, leading to increase in fat)
List courtesy of “The Gorgeously Green Diet,” by Sophie Uliano
So copy and paste this list…then print it out, walk to your kitchen pantry, look at all the labels and start your detective work. Then repeat the steps for your refrigerator and your freezer.
Or hire me and I will come do it for you. I will discuss alternatives to some of your…”I can’t throw these out, I love them” foods.
I will also kindly remind you of all the detrimental effects that these chemicals have on our bodies, if you so desire to hear them.
This might be hard at first, but keep in mind that this is not just a healthy diet change, it’s a “way of life” change as well.
--Be well nourished and eat whole foods!
It's a blog...
I am a fanatic when it comes to uncovering the truths and the falsities to sound nutrition and good health. When we use a little common sense we can back up anything, yet there is always room for debate.